Monday, January 17, 2011

If you can't stand the heat...

So, I acknowledge that this is entirely inspired by a melodramatic moment last night.  I finally broke down and watched Julie & Julia, the movie where Julie Powell decides to bake every single recipe from Julia Child's The Art of Mastering French Cooking.

But, my personal adventure is much more sentimental than a 29 year old trying to make sense of her life.  While I am 29 (okay, creepy!), I pretty much know where I'm going in life.  Where this adventure starts is in Glenn County, the family seat.

My grandma Kate was a true lady.  She had the hospitality and grace of a western frontier lady.  She grew up during the depression, married a quality man, gave birth to two amazing sons, and was the epitome of "grandma."  Catherine Carlise Fiack Lohse passed away in November 2010, after 92 amazing years.

During the clean-up of her house, I had two goals in mind:

1. Get her china;
2. Ger her recipes.

Three stuffed to the edges recipe boxes and a stack that easily fill a fourth box later, and a month and half after her death later, I'm ready to start.



I promised the women in the Lohse family I would compile a cookbook of our favorite recipes from Grandma, and that'll happen.  But, during this process, I'm making a promise to myself:  Once a week, I will cook a recipe.

So, here's to you Grandma.  You made the best spaghetti sauce, the yummiest cheese amburgers on white bread, and by far the most amazing, perfectly cooked M&M cookies!

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard about Grandma. I am so sorry Remi. She was a true lady and wonderful cook! I have no doubt that your journey through her recipes will be rewarding in more ways that you now know!

    ReplyDelete