Thursday, July 7, 2011

Cooking for the Church

During the first weekend I was in Boerne, I wandered around Berges Fest (German-inspired festival) and introduced myself to the local chapter of the Knights of Columbus.  I also met a couple of the wives, one of whom invited me out to her family's celebration of an uncle's birthday the next day.

The gal and her husband are pretty involved with the Church, and during the course of conversation I mentioned that I have just gotten into cooking and baking.  Heidi mentioned that the Church hosts a coffee break between the morning Masses, and they're always looking for help.  I promptly signed up to do some baking for later in the month.

I started out thinking I was going to be super ambitious and try some home-made blueberry muffins.  By the time my scheduled Sunday rolled around, I toned things down and went with the first round of honey cookies.  

I tried a little experiment with the shapes of the cookies, and discovered that just putting dollops of cookie dough on the sheet do not make for good cookies (at least not with this recipe).  I did discover that everyone really loved the star shaped cookies.  The good news is, there were only about a dozen of the dollops left over (considering I made about 4 dozen cookies plus they had donuts, breads and cake to choose from, I'd say the cookies were successful)!

I'm thinking the next time I'm in town, I'll make those blueberry muffins, just to change things up!

No comments:

Post a Comment