Monday, September 12, 2011

Something Divine

I've been in the mood to cook/bake lately, but I keep talking myself out of it - kind of like exercising!  I've been on the road so much lately, that I've fallen into the old trap of not shopping.  Why buy something for two nights when I know I'm going to be gone for the next three?  Really, I just need to shop for a couple of days at most.  With the grocery store being on the other side of town (okay, so it's only a three minute drive, but STILL...), it's pretty easy to say, "But just one more episode of News Radio, then I'll go."

So, with a strong urge to make something, and pretty bare cupboards, I started to browse a couple of recipes. Then, inspiration struck, like something from the divine heavens above.  I'll make Divinity!

With a minimal ingredient list (yes, I did happen to have a bottle of Caro syrup on hand), I gathered the saints on my side and started boiling sugar, syrup and water.  While waiting for the mixture to boil, I made a quick call home to Mom.  Now Mom isn't a culinary genius, but she does have some good knowledge about "old" cooking basics.  So, rather than Googling, I "mom'ed" what exactly "cracking" meant.  Turns out my educated guess was right.




So, with eggs whites whipped, a boiling sugar mass added to it, I ended up with Divinity.  Yeah....it kind of turned out how I expected.  A white block of sugar.  I have NO idea why this was such a popular recipe, or why people even made it.  I'll take my milk chocolate fudge thank you very much.

So, now I have a block of pure sugar madness in my fridge.  I'll be honest, I'm a bit afraid to try it.  And, I don't have an office to pawn it off on.  And, I'm not about to subject myself to dog-on-crack, so nothing for Winston.  So, not sure what do with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment