Saturday, February 12, 2011

Going Bananas

So, I deviated from Grandma's recipes this evening.  A couple of years ago, I discovered I really enjoy making banana bread.  Unfortunately, I really don't like eating banana bread.  The recipe I tried was simple and quick.  I got to the point where I made it a bit of my own creation...take the recipe and 1. minus the nuts, 2. add chocolate chips, and 3. add blueberries.  It was rather delicious (as attested to the quickness in which the coworkers gobbled it down!).

TRADEGY HAS STRUCK!


I've lost the recipe.  I had notes written in the margins.  I've made it numerous times, but not enough to have memorized it yet.  This was my recipe.  This had been fine tuned to my demanding expectations.  It had received rave reviews.  And now, it was gone.  GONE!!

After picking myself up from a little puddle of despair in the corner, I thought about going to Grandma's recipes. I probably should have, but after a week of copying recipes, I needed a break.  Back in 2000, my aunt Susan Lohse (not to be confused with Auntie Sue Basler) gave me a wonderful mixing bowl, spatula, hand-stitched cloth and a Mennonite cookbook.  In the ensuring years, I've lost the cloth and spatula, but have held onto the bowl and cookbook.

I broke a cardinal rule of mine, and baked the recipe as is...including the nuts.  Duhn duh duhn!  After a minor mistake (oops, the sugar and butter get creamed together, whereas I sifted the sugar and flour together) and restarting, my apartment now smells like delicious banana bread (with walnuts, and a slight addition of a cup of chocolate chips).

So here's to those that are bananas, with a bit of nuttiness to make them complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment