Friday, February 11, 2011

Would you like some coffee with that cake?

So, going with the week's criteria of simple with minimal prep time, I went with the coffee cake.  I had grand dreams of my cinnamon flavored coffee cake.  You know, something along the lines of this:


After ensuring I had the ingredients (almost went down in flames when I misread 1 tablespoon of cinnamon as 1 cup of cinnamon), I started mixing up the coffee cake.

Things started off well.

The greatest attachment for my hand mixer.
Presto!  Eggs beaten!
That's a lot of flour...
Coffee cake batter!


So, once I got the batter into the baking dish, I got to make the crumb toppings:


Oddly, there was no cinnamon laced throughout the batter, no beautiful ribbon of warm gooey deliciousness.  Just this a simple, heavy flour cake.  


After a bit of cooking, I brought this possibly delicious coffee cake into work:
Golden brown coffee cake fresh from the oven.
The coffee cake was alright.  It seemed a bit dense (4 cups of flour?!) and a bit bland.  It ate, so I can't complain.  However, I don't think I'll be including this one in the recipe book.  If I come across a different coffee cake recipe, I'll be sure to try.  Then again, I may just do some experimenting with this one.

So, here's to coffee cake.  And soon...soon I promise I'll do some dinner rolls!

No comments:

Post a Comment